Pacific University Archives Exhibits
Search using this query type:

Search only these record types:


Advanced Search (Items only)

After Forest Grove

The Forest Grove Indian Training School moved to a site north of Salem in 1885. In its new location, the school was first renamed the "Salem Indian Training School," and by 1900, was renamed again as "Chemawa Indian School." It still exists today under that name, though its aims have changed dramatically since then. Today, Chemawa encourages Native students to study their ancestral histories, languages and cultures. 

After the school left for Salem, Pacific University took over its old campus in Forest Grove. The girls' dormitory had already burned down by that point, but the boys' dormitory remained. Pacific re-purposed the building as its first dormitory for male students, housing young men there from about 1892 to 1905. In 1908, a local developer bought the old building and demolished it in order to build a more modern residence. Some outbuildings like the former workshop stayed intact for a few more years, but today none of the original buildings from the Forest Indian School campus remain.