When the Walker Family first donated Boxer to Pacific, he was displayed in the old Brighton Chapel within Marsh Hall. On October 18, 1899, a visiting pastor named Reverend Dunning encouraged the student body to show their school spirit by playing a prank and stealing the statue. Boys from the Class of 1902 did the deed that night, hiding him in an attic. (See Harriet Scholfield's account of the first time Boxer was stolen.)
So began one of the university's most memorable traditions. For the next 80 years, one group of students after another stole the statue from each other. Everyone wanted to claim possession of the "College Spirit." No one knew where he would turn up next.