Pacific University Archives Exhibits

Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
Exhibit
Exhibit Page

Advanced Search (Items only)

First Herrick Hall

Files

Title

First Herrick Hall

Description

This is a picture of the first Herrick Hall with students gathered along the balconies. Herrick Hall was the all-female residence hall on campus that all women were required to live in unless they had special accommodations to live in a house in the surrounding area in Forest Grove. It was first built in 1883 and was called Ladies Hall. During the second university president Reverend John Russell Herrick's tenure, he spent much of his four years as president away from the university, but in that time, he was able to accomplish many things including raising $16,000 to build Ladies Hall. The first year the building was put to use was in 1884. It was renamed after President Herrick in 1887. The first Herrick Hall completely burned down on Sunday, March 11, 1906, from chimney sparks on the roof. A combination of women's fundraising and the Carnegie Foundation donation of $10,000 allowed the second Herrick Hall to be built in 1907. Until 1958, it was still an all-female residence hall. Herrick Hall burned down a second time in 1973.

Date

1880-1890

Identifier

PUApic_012699

Rights

Copyright Not Evaluated

Citation

“First Herrick Hall,” Pacific University Archives Exhibits, accessed November 22, 2017, http://exhibits.lib.pacificu.edu/items/show/7633.